So, recently TWO people have nominated me for a Leibster Award – a big thank you goes out to Alice Brook and to Oscar Jamieson for nominating me! The Leibster Award is basically an Internet high-five, a “keep up the good work” kind of moment thrown through fibre-optic cables. It’s always a good feeling to know that people out there appreciate what you are writing. So, without further ado…the rules:
When you receive the award, you post 11 random facts about yourself and answer the 11 questions asked by the person who nominated you.
Pass the award onto 11 other blogs (while making sure you notify the blogger that you nominated them!)
You write up 11 NEW questions directed towards YOUR nominees.
You are not allowed to nominate the blog who nominated your own blog!
You paste the award picture into your blog.
First things first…11 random facts about me, that you guys/dolls may not have known…
- I spent most of my childhood living in Tokyo, Japan. Being a white guy, with blue eyes and a shockingly red beard, this usually comes as a surprise.
- When I eat M ‘n’ Ms I do it strangely. I pour a random selection into my hand and then eat them by colour, from the largest number of the same colour to the smallest – five greens, three reds, two browns then a lonely blue.
- I hate tuna. And dolphins.
- Like most struggling writers, I work in a coffee shop, and have done so for far too long.
- I can ballroom dance. I went to an all-boys boarding school, and ballroom dance lessons were held with a nearby all-girls school. Oh, yeah.
- I am possibly the worst person in the world to have on your team during some sort of origami off. Even though I grew up in Japan, you would be better served having an ape folding alongside you.
- I attempted the Ferrero Rocher Guinness World Record (and failed.)
- I know all the lyrics to the Sailor Moon theme song (and for a beardy 28 year old male, that’s quite a feat.) Her school was just around the corner from where I used to live in Tokyo.
- If I have to style any of my daughters’ hair, they’re going to end up with either a side pony or a fountain. Not only because the 80s ruled, but also because I’m hopeless.
- Someone once stole one of my humongous pumpkins from my garden, so I put up a little sign three days later that said “I hope you enjoyed the pumpkin you stole from my yard, because it was covered with Rogon, a really strong poison. Enjoy!”
- I was born, in a cross-fire hurricane. Not really.
- BONUS FACT: I own 72 tee shirts. That’s not too many, is it?
Is that good enough? I’m not sure if some of those actually count as facts – but hey, you got some cheeky bonuses. Like how I hate dolphins. And now I have to answer 11 questions, and make up 11 of my own…geez, are you ever going to be satisfied?
1. If you had to pick, what would be the quote/thought/book you lived by?
It’s better to die on your feet than live on your knees. Che Guevara. Or maybe “Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?” Douglas Adams (you got two again! Greedy!)
2. When did you feel most inspired?
Whenever it comes to me. I sit in my car, repeating sentences over and over, before getting out and promptly forgetting them. I write on scraps of paper at work, before quickly losing them. I write on the palm of my hand, on my arm, on the condensation in the shower…anywhere, anytime. Especially with a bottle of gin in my guts.
3. Why didn’t you become what you wanted to be as a kid?
Sadly, there isn’t much call for privateers anymore. Nor is there much work for six foot tall R2D2 impersonators.
4. Who’s your role model and why?
I don’t know…
5. What’s the story behind your name/your blog’s name?
ChrisWhiteWrites. It’s what I do.
6. Favourite fairy tale?
You can be whatever you want to be. As long as you work hard enough.
Or maybe those original Grimm tales, like how Cinderella’s glass slipper is a mistranslation of something much ruder. Her <euphemism> “fur slipper” </euphemism>
7. What’s the thing that you have to do, but you absolutely hate it?
WORK. I hate working, I think that no matter what I did that wasn’t writing or spending time at home with my three little girls I would despise.
8. Pick a couple of objects that define/describe your way of life
Pen & paper. Books.
9. If you could live any time you wanted, when would that be?
Now. Or maybe further in the future.
10. One gadget that you can’t live without
Some device that connects to the Interwebs, or, the wheel. That bad boy is pretty handy. Or fire.
11. One gadget that hasn’t been made, but you’d gladly use
What are three things you mostly enjoy doing everyday?
What scares you the most, and why?
If you could be a character in any book you’ve ever read, who would you be and why?
- What is the first thing you do when you wake up?
- How many roads must a man walk down?
- Who is your favourite author?
- If you could be anywhere right now, where would that be?
- If you could be anywhen right now, when would that be?
- Grab the book nearest you, turn to page 72. Write the third sentence.
- To be or not to be?
- What is your favourite animal, and why?